Built on the south west of the existing capital of Delhi Sultanate the historic city of Mehrauli, Tughlaqabad was established in 1321 by the founder of the Tughlaq dynasty Ghiyasuddin Tughlaq.
The fortress of Tughlaqabad, which is Delhi’s fourth city, was built on the highland and had thirteen gates, tall ramparts, broad pavilion which stored arsenal as well as provision for the Tuqhlaq army.
This fortress like city was built keeping in mind to ward off the advancing Mughal raiders from the north-west frontier. But the grand city suffered the fate of time as it was soon abandoned after the death of Ghiyasuddin Tughlaq. His successor Muhammad-bin-Tughlaq decided to shift the capital to Deccan.